Photo of Slug Story Author

Untitled

Film has influenced how I see the world and has shaped me. Growing up, my dad would always show me movies be it at home or the local theater. This opened my eyes to film and its many styles. As time passed and my interest in film grew, I began watching behind the scene documentaries, making YouTube videos, and participating in local competitions to start building up my film portfolio. Eventually, I wondered if film could be in my future and if it could change me and those around me.
In high school, I was in a club called Brahma Cinematics, a high school club that gathers students with an interest in film production to create projects both for competitions and fun. I was anxious about joining the club because I was going into an environment with people I didn’t know. My father gave me a new camcorder for Christmas to ensure that my projects would be on par with my peers. The first club meeting was quick, but to the point. The president gave us the general idea of how things worked and gave us several competitions options. Several competitions later and I felt comfortable in the club. I wasn’t given any big roles in any production and I wasn’t sure in my abilities to lead a crew; I simply had never done any huge leading at this point in my life. The club president saw my concern but recommended that I lead a group in the next competition. My opportunity to lead came during a contest to make a PSA on depression, for the California Mental Health Services Authority’ Directing Change Student Film Contest. I selected my crew, prepared the equipment, and planned out days for the crew to work. The pre-production portion of the project went smoothly and things seemed like they were being projected in the right direction.
Then a problem arose: the lead actor disappeared on the final day of shooting. As the director, I decided to continue production. Although some members were skeptical about re-shooting the project in such a short time, I knew the experience was important for everyone. Our team learned time management, gained a better understanding of personal responsibility, and grew closer to one another. My team praised me for taking such a risk with the project and were proud of the result. With this project, I finally knew that I could make hard decisions and relate to each member of my crew and I now saw myself as a leader.
It was then when I realized how film has influenced me whether it was through my film production or simply just watching movies. Films can reflect the times and shape the collective conscious. Gattaca proclaimed a message to me of following my dreams. Saving Private Ryan instilled shock and awe, leaving me riveted by the devastation of the Allied forces on Omaha Beach. Star Wars was able to take me to a galaxy far, far away from the conflict between my parents at home, inspiring in me a love of heroic epics. These films are a testament to what film can do, and they have inspired me to create my own films in the hopes of inspiring audiences and changing their perspectives on the world.
Though my love of Film Production began with school projects, I quickly moved on to entering local competitions on my own, creating more short films for fun, and enlisting in the school weekly broadcast. Film grew from a hobby to a passion to my desired profession. What film was able to offer me, I want to give to and inspire others to create films as well. From displaying a specific message to amazing an audience with thought-provoking stories or creating a whole new loveable universe, film presents viewers with whole new worlds filled with exciting characters, conflicts, moments to laugh and to cry, ready to be explored.
I took my ambitions and dreams and continued onwards to college, attending University of California, Santa Cruz. Here, I have begun honing my skills towards my goal: becoming a future storyteller that moves people and creates conversation. Coming to Santa Cruz, I have begun stepping out of my personal bubble. I live in a completely new environment, live among a diverse group of students, and never before have been super far from home. This different experience can help shape my perspective in life and ultimately how I tell stories. Combined with College Ten’ theme of social justice, I know that my views have completely taken a new form. Sharing this journey can compel others to follow their dreams, pursue their passions, and change the world in their own way. Film has been able to see my future more clear. The art of film production has made me a leader, allowed me to express myself, and has pursue a passion that I love so much. It pushes me to do better and go further in live and hopefully persuade others to do the same with their passions.