Photo of Slug Story Author

Untitled

Growing up I was always the youngest out of 14 grandchildren with my closest cousin in age being seven years older than me. This caused me to mature at a faster pace than other kids my age and be more self-aware of everything that occurred around me. Throughout my childhood I was always surrounded by adults and was faced with skipping the typical kid phase of cartoons and hide-and-seek. From a young age I spent most of my time alongside my mother, as I attended school a few blocks away from her office. During these year of preschool and early elementary I often found myself there watching and taking in the daily tasks that took place in a law firm. Also, as any young child, I grew curious about all the hustle and bustle that took place at the firm, eventually asking questions about why there were often cops in the office taking people in and out with handcuffs on and why everyone was constantly busy. Most likely being the only child that ever stepped foot into that office, I was usually left alone in the library reading books that I either brought along with me or on occasion, when I left my books at home, a law book I would randomly select from that same library. Since I was an avid reader, I developed a strong reading comprehension for my age and was at least able to grasp the general idea of what the books addressed. At times when my mother had to run errands for the firm, I was her companion and my 6-year-old self would often be seen scouring the court secretly walking through the halls and peeking into these cavernous courtrooms and sometimes sitting in on ongoing trials. Although I was quite young, I began to take an interest in law and enjoyed listening to the rambles of my mother in the car while I sat in the back and imagined all the drama in the cases she was allowed to speak of. Since I was often the only child in such a mature setting, I adapted and became self-dependent as not wanting to disturb the adults who surrounded me. As I grew older I took the matters of my curious young-self into my own hands, in order to satisfy my interests, as I would research court cases on the internet and asking my mother and her colleagues questions about why a man received such little time for sentencing when he had murdered three people. This eventually sparked an even further enthusiasm as I began to beg my mother to take me to sit in on any public court cases going on after I was let out from school, or during school vacation. The older I got, the more I leaned towards criminal cases learning all of the logistics of a criminal case, such as depositions and court proceeding. At the young age of 12 I decided I wanted to study law when I got older and become a criminal defense attorney, as the way the law could be construed in numerous ways was a main pinpoint for my reasons to pursue such a career; as well as wanting help those who had been wronged in society by others and had no one else to look to. Lastly, I felt that growing up and struggling to live in an extremely mature setting kind of opened up my eye to how real the world was and to how unjust it could be, based on what I’d seen in the office. Moreover, I had meet many individuals who had or were going to be prosecuted for often things they didn’t even commit, so helping out others who in reality did not commit a wrong was a driving factor in pursuing a career that could make a right.